Which is your favorite?
1. Choose a word that is easier to redefine (my suggestions would be “dominion” or “superpower”). Replace “preside” with this word, and redefine this word to mean “equality.”
2. In order to strengthen ties to their family (so they don’t feel out of the loop at home), require husbands and fathers to do a greater share of the housework and childcare.
3. Give the power of presiding to women because we all know they’re more righteous and will do a better job, anyway.
4. Make husbands primarily accountable not only for the decisions they and their wives make mutually in regards to their families, but also for the decisions made by their wives independently.
5. Re-re-define “preside” so that husbands can do whatever they darn well please.
6. Choose another category (rather than gender) in order to decide who gets to preside. Some possibilities could be eye color or whose name comes first in the alphabet. Or alternate by month/week/etc. Or you could consider my finace’s idea: awhile ago he suggested that on days where I wear high heels that make me taller than he is, I will preside.
7. Forbid husbands and wives to disagree (then no one will think the husband gets the “last word”).
8. Instead of having one individual preside, have couples establish themselves as equal partners with different responsibilities. The couple will determine these responsibilities themselves, and they will do their best to set up the responsibilities so that both partners are doing an equal amount of work, feel responsible for things happening in the family, and are happy with the division of labor. All major decisions will be made co-equally, and both partners will accept equal responsibility for the consequences of these decisions.
- 25 July 2006