You’re more than welcome to add your two cents to the conversation here; we greatly appreciate the well-thought-out and insightful responses that so many people have generously shared with us. Just a few guidelines to keep in mind:
1. Please focus on your own experience, ideas, and interpretations. This isn’t the place to call others to repentance, or to attempt to remove the mote from anyone else’s eye. Comments along the lines of, “in my experience, this has been helpful” or “this is the way I see things” are fabulous. Comments along the lines of “this is what’s wrong with you” are a problem.
2. You’re welcome to explain why you completely disagree with someone’s ideas, but personal attacks are not acceptable. This includes such behaviors as name-calling, insults, or questioning other people’s personal righteousness.
3. We don’t mind the occasional bit of sarcasm, snarkiness, and satire to make a point (or just to lighten things up). But please don’t get mean-spirited with it, and keep in mind that a little goes a long way. We’d like to keep the general tone here constructive.
4. While you certainly don’t have to be LDS to participate here, please respect that this is a blog aimed primarily at an LDS audience and avoid comments with a generally anti-Mormon tone. This isn’t the place to debate the veracity of the LDS faith, or to attempt to argue anyone in or out of her/his beliefs.
5. If you don’t believe that a topic is worth discussing, please simply stay out of the conversation, rather than jumping in to explain why you don’t think the topic should be discussed.
6. We make every effort to create a hospitable environment in which a range of viewpoints can be presented and try to respond to at least a fair number of our commenters, whose thoughtfulness and participation we appreciate. At the same time, please recognize that we are not professional bloggers and each of us has multiple demands on her/his time. Suggestions for post topics are certainly welcome, but in the end, recognize that deciding what topics we address when is our prerogative. This is our space. Please refrain from making dictatorial demands on how, when, or what we blog about, and be patient if your comments do not garner immediate feedback. Sometimes we simply don’t have time to compose elaborate responses to every issue raised in a thread, and sometimes we choose to spend what free time we do have playing the didgeridoo, crocheting witch costumes, or running races with naked people. We enjoy interacting with our commenters, but we’re not at your beck and call.
Comments which violate these rules may be edited and/or removed. If this happens and you think you’ve been misinterpreted, or you have other questions about this, you can contact us at email@example.com.
P.S. If you post a comment with links, it may end up in moderation. We check that fairly often, so it should show up before too long; if not, feel free to email and ask about it.